Thursday, June 4, 2009

5/30/09

We left the Reno (and Bangkok) for Lopburi at 9:45 AM.  I could not eat my breakfast.  I have no idea why.  So I still had an hour’s worth of internet credit at the neighboring hotel, so I stepped in and gave the ticket to some random guy.  He was so excited!  I think he was American though.

 

We all took taxies to the Hualompong Train Station for our 10:50 train.  Of course, 10:50 is just an estimate.  It was about a half hour late.  The train was so old and rusted.  We all had more luggage than most passengers and we were all crammed in our seats.  The train actually broke down less than 5 mi from the Bangkok station.  They told us we would have to wait an hour for the next train, but they got it running before then.  We got a meal, surprisingly.  Sketchy, spicy, fishy fish and rice.  Wasn’t terrible.

 

We were supposed to arrive at Lopburi at 1 PM, but we finally got in at around 4 or 5.  We got assigned roommates and went up to our rooms.  Since Emilie went home, Emily is my roommate.  She is a grad student at ASU and did her undergrad stuff at NCSU with Troy.  She looks so familiar to me.

 

After we settled into our rooms, most of us rode the hotel bus to the downtown area.  Walked around, found something to eat.  The place we ate at was big enough that it wasn’t terribly sketcy.  Sarah got fried pork ribs which were delicious.

 

It is weird to me how many skin-lightening products there are.  Apparently it’s the opposite from the US.  Also I have noticed that there is always someone cleaning the floor.  Always.  They have nice clean floors here.

 

Its nice to be in a place finally with almost no tourists.  There are monkeys here!  I mean, I knew there would be, but it’s still exciting.  They hang out everywhere.  Buildings, ruins, power lines, the middle of the street…

No comments:

Post a Comment